Macadamia agroforestry in Malawi - driving sustainable development
We (Profs Who Fly and Themba Trust (a UK-based charity) are working with The Neno Macadamia Trust (NMT) and The (Malawi) Highland Macadamia Cooperative Union Ltd. (HIMACUL) to provide emissions offsets and support sustainable development-based agroforestry systems in Malawi.
Calculating the emissions that result from your travel (air):
Stage 1. Proof of concept
- Incentivising farmers who are trading with HIMACUL to look after their trees, and for more farmers to trade through HIMACUL
- Establish surveys and payment systems
- In 2013 & 2016, paper based surveys were done with HIMACUL's farmers; about 1200 farmers were included
- In 2017, a prototype smart phone-based survey of 78 long term HIMACUL member farmers was completed.
- NMT and HIMACUL are now securing payments for 120 tC02 Carbon offsets
- Following the success of the 2017 electronic survey, repeat surveys of 120 and 170 farmers were carried out for 2018 and 2019 certificates.
- NMT and HIMACUL are now securing payments for 220 tC02 Carbon offsets and finalising a 2020 survey of over 230 farmers.
Stage 2. Plan Vivo (an established voluntary carbon offseting standard) certification for carbon trading, which will:
- Incentivising farmers to plant and nurture trees and to trade through HIMACUL